Thursday, July 9, 2009

Back into puppyness...

It's been a while since I wrote about the antics of my parents' new puppy, Deka. She is now 5 months old and is just barely starting to show some signs of calming down... sometimes.

My mother recently convinced me to go with her to Deka's dog training class. The puppy decided to buck and whine every time another dog was getting attention that she wasn't. She sits like an angel (my mother had taught her that when she was 10 weeks old). The "no jumping" training was a complete and utter failure. The best, however, was the "come" training.

For this exercise, the trainer stands on one end of the room attempting to hold the dog (usually an easy job... until you separate Deka from my mother, and then you have a bucking, whining, crazed 60lbs of muscle) and the owner stands at the other. When the dog is released, the owner calls the dog and tries to get the dog to come to them. The other dogs looked like this...

Deka, however, looked like this...(That's Deka a few weeks ago at the doggy park.)

She went careening across the room at a FULL SPRINT, crashed into my mother at full tilt, bounced off, shook herself off, spun around a few times and promptly sat to receive her treats. Not only that, but she did it three times! The whole thing was hillarious, but I think the funniest part was the absolutley careening into my mother each time rather than stopping BEFORE knocking her owner over.

I'll leave you with a few more Deka at the doggy park shots.
Yeah, this last one is Deka sniffing the butt of a Great Dane. So funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment